A small piece of South Korea making its mark in Dubai!
Being K-drama addicts who have made numerous plans to visit South Korea, when we heard that a South Korean cafe has opened in Dubai we were on cloud 9 and could not resist ourselves from trying it this weekend.
Mealtop is a South Korean café that opened their doors for the very first time in 1985. Since then they’ve kept expanding and now finally they’re here in Dubai! They offer desserts using ingredients imported from South Korea and is also home to Korea’s #1 dessert “Bingsoo”.
The café itself is a quaint little place located in La Mer with simplistic furnishings and a lovely Korean maple tree adorning the entire space. The ambiance is warm and cozy and the old school music played there just adds to the entire experience. It’s a great dessert bar to hang out with friends and family.
Rating: 9 Golden Nuggets
1. Coffee Bingsoo [AED 34]: For those who have no idea about the popular Korean dessert. Bingsoo is shaved ice garnished with sweet red beans and tteok (rice cake). The ingredients are imported from Korea to give you the authentic flavor.
Normally, Asians prefer to eat Bingsoo instead of ice-creams. There are quite a lot of variations that can be made out of it, resulting in a variety of flavors.
View this post on Instagram
Haven’t had your #summer 🌞 trip yet? Then all you got to do is visit @mealtopuae and enjoy the vibes of #Korea 🇰🇷. They have opened their first franchise in #Dubai. The #famous dessert 🍮#Bingsoo is basically shaved #ice topped with sweet #redbeans. It is available in many flavors and we went for the #CoffeeBingsoo [AED 34]! You say why 🤔; because coffee ☕️ and #dessert together is a dream come true for us. . . . . . . #koreandessert #popular #koreanfood #shavedice #thescrumptiousscavengers #coffee #coffeeaddicts #dubaifoodies #dessertporn #dubaibloggers #eatfamous #feedyoursoul #foodbloggers #foodporn #foodphotography #instalike #liveforthestory #uaebloggers #zomatouae #mydubai @canonme @zomatouae @lamerdubai
We being coffee addicts opted for the coffee flavor and were totally pleased with the outcome! It had the right balance of coffee, and sweetness from the red beans. Get ready for a brain freeze along with a light and hearty dessert packed in one dish!
We LOVED it and would recommend to everyone who adores coffee. The serving size is good enough for 2-3 people.
*SUMMER SPECIAL*: Its the mango season and for all those mango crazed foodies out there, there is a mango bingsoo waiting for you all to try.
2. Ice-cream Crepe [AED 37]: A delicious basic crepe stuffed with vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of chocolate sauce and some fresh fruits on the side. Have this on a hot summer day and you’ll be thanking the heavens for this creation! Everything was served fresh and we had to dig in the minute we were done with the photography of course.
3. Mixed Softie [AED 19]: This resembles the Karak tea in a serve. It would not appease everyone’s tastebuds; if you like cold tea and something really sweet then go for it. Only one of us liked it, who is a tea addict. So mixed thoughts on this one, try and figure out if its meant for you or not.
4. Waffles [AED 32]: The waffles are soft, not something we prefer but one bite into it and that changed our view. It’s served with a side of fresh fruits and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream that brought the whole dish together. It’s a nice dessert or also an even better breakfast option.
5. Snow Latte [AED 30]: This is a new addition to the menu and launched first in Dubai! Roasted coffee beans with shaved milk; a smart combination to beat the heat this summer. It was truly refreshing and a nice end to our evening at Mealtop.
We had the branch manager Mr. Abhay explain about the backstory of Mealtop and all the dishes on the menu. The staff is warm; courteous and always ready to help!
The price might not appeal to everyone because its a tad bit high, but considering the locality and portion it seems just about right. Its always a great idea to split if the bill seems daunting to one person.
We were hooked on to the Bingsoo and shall be back for more in the future.